Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Daphne and Apollo; Favorite Part of Story

My favorite part of Daphne and Apollo is when Daphne is turned into a tree. I can say that I truly sympathized with Daphne when Apollo was following her and trying to pursue her when she made it very clear that she was NOT interested. Daphne being turned into a tree was the best way she could escape Apollo and his obsessiveness and I also thought the way her transformation was described was quite interesting. I found the image of "heavy sluggishness" when she was first starting to transform to be interesting, and also I found it to be cool when it said that her "soft breasts are surrounded by gentle bark", because I can just imagine how that would feel - standing there with my body becoming surrounded by bark, with my arms turning into branches.

The main reason this was my favorite part of the story is because I didn't like how obsessive Apollo was being. I know that he could not control how he felt because he was shot by Cupid's arrow, but still I felt really bad for Daphne. All she wanted was to remain virginal and to be left alone and Apollo just didn't take the hint (either that or he did and just didn't care). When I first heard that Daphne was going to turn into a tree, my thoughts were, well thank god she is FINALLY escaping Apollo and his madness!

No comments:

Post a Comment