Sunday, October 18, 2009

Reflection 5, 10/18/09

This week there were two main topics covered in class. One of them was the IA. Our class went up to the library to look for IA sources and to start typing up our outlines that are due on the 23rd. I got mine finished, because when we went up to the library several weeks ago to gather sources, I found several. I also have been told that one ancient source to look for is Cicero. My IA topic is about the influence of Julius Caesar on Roman politics at the end of the Roman Republic and the start of the Roman Empire, and Cicero lived during this time and wrote about it in detail. I was able to get my outline finished, and I turned that in the same day.

We also have been going over Daphne and Apollo, and we are almost to the end of the story. The dog and rabbit simile has already come up. I noted that Apollo is acting very animal like in his pursuit of Daphne, like a dog hunting its prey. Daphne, the innocent sweet virginal girl, is fleeing to protect herself, like a rabbit would flee from any animal pursuing it as prey. I also considered that the use of the dog and rabbit simile could represent that Apollo is moving in on Daphne as if he sees her as 'prey' so to speak, or someone that he wants to capture for himself. Apollo got even more creepy in these passages to me, as he is trailing behind her so close that Daphne can feel him breathing on her neck. If I were Daphne I'd be running too...fast!! We stopped where Daphne is by the river, begging the gods of the river to turn her into something else so that Apollo will not pursue her any more. At this point I change my mind from what I said a month ago (that I hope Apollo captures Daphne). I can see she is clearly bothered by it and I don't want him to capture her, who knows what he would do. I hope she finds safety from him because to me, she seems terrified.

I can't wait to translate the end of the story, even though I already know what is going to happen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment